Our Story

Alexander Construction was founded by Ralph Alexander, who started the company in 1945 using an army gratuity he received on his return from World War II. Ralph had served as an infantryman in the Western Desert and had twice been made a Prisoner of War (he escaped both times). He returned to New Zealand and was discharged in 1944.

RG & C Alexander Construction opened a joinery division in the shed beside the construction company in Dunlop Road , Onekawa, Napier in 1963.

Donald Alexander ( no relation) started his apprenticeship there and worked his way up to become the manager and then purchased the joinery factory in 1984.

In 2012, DAJ Joinery became known as Alexander Joinery and Jason Collins now manages the team of qualified and talented joiners who are again now incorporated within the Alexander Construction team.